Thursday, January 19, 2012

You've got to be kidding me

I won't lie, it has been an eventful past 3 months when it comes to vehicles in our family. Somehow we've managed to get creamed by a non-law abiding driver and now I've managed to smash into a deer. Last Wednesday the kids and I were driving to Hobby Lobby to pick up some craft items when out of no where I saw five deer start to jump out of the ditch and run across the road. Unfortunately, I was too close to them to avoid them, but I was able to slow down considerably before I hit the second deer. I watched the van hit the deer and then watched the deer fall down and roll across the street and onto the shoulder. I then pulled the van over to the side of the road. Thankfully, the oncoming driver was able to call the police as I could not get my phone to work. I think the driver was under the false impression that I might have been injured as all he could see as he pulled up was me pounding the steering wheel. I could not have been more angry, quite frankly. The deer, of course, was fine and ran away shortly after she stopped rolling, but all I wanted to do was find that stupid deer and punch it in the face. After the policeman showed up and wrote down the information that he and I needed, we drove to my parents house where we could assess the damage more clearly. As I was telling my mom about how I saw the deer roll across the road, Olivia whispers in my ear, "Mommy, I saw that too." I thought that she would probably be sad for the deer or something, but instead Olivia seemed to find it very amusing that the deer rolled across the road after we hit it. 




This is a picture of our van right before we took it in on Monday to get an estimate. They called us back Monday afternoon to tell us that the damage was already around $5,000 and they hadn't even taken it apart yet. They thought they'd be able to get it fixed by the 27th. They called us today to tell us that the grand total is just shy of $7,000 and that they will probably get it done by the 31st or the 1st of February. This leaves us with just Jesse's car until then. Good thing we rarely have anywhere to go while Jesse is at work. :)

4 comments:

  1. At least Olivia was amused & not scared! Any word on insurance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Insurance will cover all but the $500 that we have to pay, so that's a good thing at least. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is good! I think our deductible is $1000, so we rarely get anything covered :-/. && At least you don't have to go car shopping again! :)

      Delete
  3. I think we would end up getting the same vehicle either way, so at least the "shopping" part would be over... we'd just have to find the best deal :)

    ReplyDelete